Control Your Killer PetsWritten by Alex under Air Purifiers, General | 1 Comment
Crufts is coming! Around 28,000 dogs will descend on the NEC in Birmingham on 11-14 March for the world’s greatest dog show and why not? Pets are great. They reduce blood pressure, provide companionship, give you a reason to go out to the pub for “walkies” and introduce the kids to responsibility. They’re cute too! There is a down side to those cuddly canine and feline companions though.
Pet dander is the main cause of pet allergy symptoms that can be caused by the hair or saliva of your cat or dog coming into contact with your skin or in the air. Allergic reactions can include irritating sneezing, congestion and a runny nose through to more serious coughing and wheezing or eczema and rashes. Overexposure to animal dander can make the problem worse and can develop into Asthma. There is no relationship between how long your pets’ hair is and how much dander its skin produces. Aside from dander, your pet’s fur can also collect allergens like pollen, dust, and spores from the outside environment. Because pet dander is sticky and can adhere to many surfaces, you could even experience pet allergy symptoms without owning a pet at all.
Despite all this about two million people live with at least one cat or dog in their household, even though they are allergic to them. Pet allergies can be controlled. The best solution is to find a new home for your pet, but if that sounds too extreme there are some other steps you can take.
- Wash your pet weekly with a dander reducing shampoo – this can reduce the level of allergens by as much as 84%.
- Keep your pets outdoors if possible, but if not, then create an allergy-free area in the house by keeping the pet permanently out of that particular room.
- Vacuum frequently using a HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner that removes and permanently traps airborne allergens.
- Remove airborne animal dander by cleaning the air with a HEPA filtered air purifier. Units like the AP281 HEPA Air Purifier & Ioniser retail for as little as £31.00 and will effectively remove airborne particles like dust, dirt, pollen, animal dander and mould spores.
- Keep your pets off furniture and soft furnishings and always wash your hands thoroughly after playing with your pet.
Of course if all that fails, consider a goldfish or maybe look at animatronic Guinea Pig. To some, these may be little more than a battery compartment with a wig, but to you he could be an allergy-free friend and companion for life. There’s no pee or poop behind the sofa, no sawdust scattered all over the place, and when you go away on holiday they don’t die on you either! £31.00 though isn’t too high a price to pay for the real thing and when last we heard, they aren’t planning a “Cyber Crufts” any time soon!